Monday, March 3, 2008

Why I do love Utah

I love Utah. I have a place in my heart for Provo and Orem, definitely a spot for SLC, but the majority of Utah-Love is centered around southern Utah. Kurt's condo to be specific.

And sometimes you have to get away from those you love and visit other loved ones before you lose it and do something you'll regret. I had to escape Provo. I hadn't left the valley for close to five months and the weekend forecast called for snow, I just don't think I could have handled that.
So in about three and a half hours we were in St. George soaking up the 70 degree weather.


"Be Prepared" a scouting phrase I understand and follow. I knew that we would be hiking and I knew that when hiking expect to be walking a lot and climbing things, so of course I chose to bring flip flops. "Nothing better than flat flip flops on slick sandstone." another tenant of scouting that I adhere to.


You can see my friend Hillary also adheres to the "hike in flip flops" rule. (And she wasn't even a boy scout.)
And the face is a reaction to the frighteningly cold water that I decided to wade into.


I wish this picture captured the absolute awesomeness of this slot canyon.
I was climbing on a two foot ledge with a shear forty foot drop to one side.
Hillary's shot shows a little better the magnitude of what we were jumping around on, but c'mon, we're in our twenties, we'll live forever right?

2 comments:

Scotty B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Flip-flops forever! :)