Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I study rocks?

I'm a geography major and lets be honest, we don't get a lot of credit.

Doctors get medical questions, psychologists get mental questions, and gas station attendants get asked if these donuts are fresh.
We get questions any idiot can look up in an atlas. (or questions about rocks)

Does anyone care that I can discuss the geopolitical situation threatening Kosovo or that I can identify major land features on a 7.5 minute USGS topographic map?
No, they want to know the capital of Uzbekistan. (Tashkent.....but I used wikipedia.)

I guess the world expects us to have memorized countries and their capitals......and I guess I'm a failure.

I wonder if my professors are aware of this?

My case in point:

Kristen: "How would you pronounce the capital of Kentucky? Lou-e-ville or Lou-ville?"
Logan: "I'd pronounce it Lou-ville."
Kristen: (smugly) "Really, cause I'd pronounce it Frankfort."

Although, I suppose this is all really an attempt to justify my currently abysmal scores in Traveler IQ.

6 comments:

kp said...

Also not helping your case, the fact that you misspelled "Frankfort" on the first post of this

Mateo said...

Same with history majors. Sample conversation:
"Oh, you're a history major?"
"Yup"
"So what day did Lincoln give the Getteysburg Address?"
"Your mom's birthday I think"
Followed by a quick punch to the nose.

Kristy or Josh said...

Same deal with High School drop outs. Sample conversation:

Random guy: Do you know where I can get some weed?

HS dropout: Just because I dropped out of school doesn't mean I know where you can buy weed!

*awkward pause*

Random guy: Soooo...can I buy some from you?

HS dropout: Yeah, How much do you need?

Greg said...

That's funny. Jessica appreciated it, being from KY.

awalk002 said...

Yay for Andrew S. Walker representation on your blog.

starlagurl said...

That score's not too bad. With a little practice, you'll be at the top of the heap in no time.

Chat about strategy and compare scores with other Traveler IQ addicts in our travel forums

Louise Brown
TravelPod Community Manager